Who We Are
We are a dynamic, growth-oriented and safety-focused company. Our organization has been deemed to be an “essential service” by providing collection and processing for Waste and Recycling that keep our communities clean and safe. With customer service and safety as our focus, we are looking for an energetic and driven employees to support our growing company and play a crucial role in waste diversion. Emterra is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers, a certified diverse supplier of the Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council (CAMSC), the Canadian Women Business Enterprise National Council (WBE) and WEConnect International.
Who You Are
You have a can-do attitude and take pride in delivering excellent customer service to our residential customers. You always bring your “A” game by being your best and by operating with integrity.
Are you ready to jumpstart your career by joining one of Canada’s greenest employers and become part of the environmental solution? If so, apply now!
Reasons to Apply, Stay and Grow with Emterra Group:
With an eye to continued growth and steady employment, here are some of the reasons to work for Emterra Group.
- Competitive wage plus health benefits (drug, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance)
- Ongoing support and resources to ensure your personal professional success;
- Training and Development opportunities supplemented with a Tuition Assistance Program
- A solid organization within which you are able to develop your competencies for future growth;
The Operations Manager will be a hands-on leader who grows the business through municipal as well as Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) contracts and will lead all aspects of collection operations, personnel management, and fleet maintenance to ensure the highest standards of operational excellence. This position is accountable for the ongoing management of the collection and fleet operations in the Capital Regional District. This position reports to the VP of Operations, BC.
What will you do?
What will you bring?
- You will lead a small team and will be accountable for the management and operational performance of our curbside and ICI collection operations on Vancouver Island.
- Meet the established performance standards, KPI’s and targets;
- Determine workflow, route planning, and staffing levels;
- Establish the necessary procedures to ensure overall safety of employees, customers, visitors and contractors;
- Provide leadership and participate in various meetings to maintain safe and positive working relationships among all employees to foster and promote a healthy work environment, productivity and efficiency;
- Ensure site compliance with all employment, safety and environmental regulations;
- Ensure employee and contractor training requirements are fulfilled to meet or exceed compliance and safety standards;
- Engage employees to create a safe, participative and energetic work environment through feedback and recognition;
- Utilize resources to fulfill municipal and ICI contract compliance with a goal of zero defects;
- Ensure daily municipal and ICI collection goals are met utilizing a “hands on” approach through the effective management of supervisory and support staff;
- Continually review municipal and ICI collection operations to ensure optimal routing efficiency and allocation of resources;
- Working closely with the Fleet Manager, ensure daily, weekly, and monthly fleet maintenance and preventative maintenance tasks and goals are achieved to ensure the safe and efficient operation of fleet operations;
- P&L responsibility including the development and achievement of budgets;
- Grow profitability by executing the Company’s business plans and strategies;
- Prepare and present management and financial reporting;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with municipal and commercial clients, employees and various internal/external stakeholders;
- Maintain current knowledge of external market trends, internal strategies and operational capabilities;
- Participate in the response to requests for proposal/tenders;
- Provide guidance and direction to supervisory staff regarding the budget and forecasts and ensure margins are optimized and growth targets are met;
- Evaluate employee performance on an on-going basis and ensure that supervisory staff are providing front line staff with regular feedback and coaching;
- Provide effective leadership by fostering a work environment based on teamwork and cooperation;
- Manage the division in ways to promote a healthy, safe, productive and positive environment and culture;
- Effectively communicate company objectives, goals, business plans, and philosophies to employees;
- Recruit, select, coach and mentor staff to ensure performance targets are being met;
- Develop employee succession plans and ensure training requirements are executed consistent with the plan;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field;
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive operational leadership experience;
- Prior experience in the waste/recycling and/or transportation industry preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal, team-building and oral/written communication skills;
- The ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and with external stakeholders;
- Strong financial and analytical skills;
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite;
- Strong understanding of employment and safety legislation;
- Must be a hands-on self-starter with excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to multi-task, shift priorities, and work within time constraints on an on-going basis.