We are a dynamic, growth-oriented, and safety-focused company. Our organization has been deemed to be an “essential service” by providing collection and processing for Waste and Recycling that keep our communities clean and safe. With customer service and safety as our focus, we are looking for an energetic and driven leader to support our growing company and play a crucial role in waste diversion. Emterra is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers, a certified diverse supplier of the Canadian Aboriginal and Minority Supplier Council (CAMSC), the Canadian Women Business Enterprise National Council (WBE) and WEConnect International.
Under the direction of the CEO, this new position of Director, Post Collection Operations
for Ontario and Michigan will lead and be accountable for production, quality, operations and maintenance of all recyclables material recovery facilities (MRFs),
including safety, MRF uptime and production efficiency, ensuring the quality of processed recyclables, human resource/labour planning and management, regulatory compliance, contract administration, and continuous improvement projects. This role requires proven waste management experience,
leadership skills and the ability to ensure financial and technical performance of assets through hands on leadership of four (4) reports. As the organization grows, the number of direct reports will change accordingly.
Our clients and stakeholders are municipal, regional, and provincial governments as well as private sector companies in need of reliable, creative, and cost-effective recycling, waste management, and circular economy solutions.
|What You Will Achieve in This Role
- Overall responsibility for production capacity and throughput, quality of processed recyclables, maximizing the recovery of recyclables, maintenance and repairs, site condition and labour management of all MRFs, taking into consideration process design and equipment selection.
- Provide oversight to local plant leadership to ensure all MRF operations maximize efficiency and effectiveness, while operating in a safe manner.
- Optimize MRF production to maximize the value of recyclable materials against costs, including the reduction of plant residuals.
- Work with the Material Marketing department and direct reports to maximize and optimize the value at which recycled commodities are sold.
- Actively communicate with Materials Marketing department to understand end market specifications and leverage this knowledge to optimize/change plant operations, as necessary.
- Develop and monitor MRF KPls and identify trends and strategies to meet or exceed targets.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives and evaluations for existing and new facilities.
- Recognize favorable and unfavorable trends and opportunities to reduce costs and increase recovery of high-quality recyclables.
- Monitor MRF performance and provide guidance and support to direct reports to effect change when performance is not meeting targets.
- Oversee the development, documentation, and implementation of Standard Operating Practices.
- Oversee, manage, and mentor the plant leadership and maintenance teams, including hiring, onboarding, developing, coaching and managing performance.
- Uphold and reinforce Emterra's environmental, health and safety commitments and programs.
- Ensure compliance with applicable regulations, facility permits, and company policies and procedures.
- Partner with engineering team to ensure the success of new and existing technology and for continuous improvement opportunities.
- Perform long-range planning for staffing needs, equipment replacement, and other operational requirements.
- Responsible for the financial performance of all MRFs, including setting budgets and meeting or exceeding budgets.
- Manage client relationships and contracts.
- Stay abreast of latest MRF processing technologies and trends.
|What will you bring? (Qualifications)
Reasons to Apply, Stay and Grow with Emterra Group:
- Bachelor's degree in business, engineering, or a similar business-related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressive responsibility in the solid waste, recycling or manufacturing sector that includes management and the responsibly for operations and financials.
- Demonstrated leadership involving all levels of staff, with the ability to engage and motivate.
- Extensive knowledge of processing equipment, best practices and procedures related to recyclables processing.
- Must understand the Occupational Health and Safety Act as it relates to waste recycling and disposal facilities and precautions relating to waste management industry.
- Ability to manage performance by taking responsibility for one's own or one's employees' performance, by setting clear goals and expectations, tracking progress against the goals, ensuring feedback, and addressing performance problems and issues promptly.
- Ability to prioritize, time manage, and shift focus with comfort and ease.
- Ability to work in both office and plant environments and can travel frequently to sites.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed, self-motivated, strong analytical thinker.
- Experience working in a computerized environment with working knowledge of computer software applications such as Word, Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with PLC’s and AutoCAD is considered an asset.
With an eye to continued growth and steady employment, here are some of the reasons to work for Emterra Group.
No agencies. No phone calls please. Emterra thanks all applicants for their interest however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Emterra Group is committed to meeting the accessibility needs of all individuals in accordance with legislation and Human Rights in all provinces. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources in any of the following ways: send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; by phone 905-336-9084, Extension 1103 or by mail to 1122 Pioneer Road, Burlington, ON L7M 1K4.
- Attractive base salary along with Group Insurance Plan;
- A solid organization within which you are able to develop your competencies for future growth;
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development support;
- Being part of a stable sector growing a green economy in North American;
- A family-oriented culture with an entrepreneurial mind-set that encourages you to take ownership of your role and effect change.