Emterra Group is a leader in providing integrated recycling resource management and waste disposal solutions to the industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sectors and municipalities throughout Canada. Our view of waste management means maximizing recycling and waste diversion. Whether you see it as garbage, waste, trash, rubbish or junk, we see waste another way – as a resource to be collected and recycled into new, usable products. From tire recycling to liquid waste – we turn waste into resources.
Our Burlington, ON location is currently searching for a Communications Assistant
to join our team for a short term, four-month contract or internship.
Reporting to the Corporate Communications Coordinator, the Communications Assistant will develop and deploy a social media strategy that builds on Emterra’s existing digital communication channels. This strategy may include scheduling, design, analytical tracking and budgeting. During the term of this position, the successful candidate will also create and publish relevant and timely internal and external communication material that speaks to our audience groups and supports our corporate initiatives. You must have the ability to build positive and professional relationships and offer a high level of service.
As an emerging communication professional, you will have the opportunity to contribute to and provide input on, the execution of Emterra’s internal and external communication initiatives while working in a team environment. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment and are a self-starter that can adapt to changing business priorities, then this is an opportunity for you.
What you will do:
- Develop a social media strategy for the organization that builds on and further enhances existing digital channels both internal and external.
- The successful candidate will deploy, analyze and evaluate the strategy to ensure it can be successfully executed by the organization, once the term is complete.
- Assist in content development and update Emterra’s websites, social media pages and digital displays by providing followers with original and relevant content. You will also use these platforms to encourage two-way communication with customers and to provide customer service.
- Contribute to the creative execution of a variety of internal and external corporate support materials such as employee profiles and company newsletters.
- Actively monitor Emterra’s on-line reputation and media clips.
Minimum qualifications and skills required to perform the job:
- Provide event planning support for trade shows, sponsored community events, internal company events (e.g. lunch & learns), etc.
- Post-secondary education an asset or working towards college diploma/university degree in a related field like communications, public relations or marketing.
- Relevant prior experience in a communication and/or marketing role.
- A strong understanding and preferably experience, managing social media platforms and utilizing them in a corporate environment.
- Fluency in online and social media, familiarity with emerging communication trends and digital publishing.
- Experience working with SEO and how to apply principles of this in daily communication tasks.
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office and experience with Adobe Creative Suites (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) considered an asset.
- A customer-focused attitude and the ability to listen to and interpret customer needs.
- Applies creative thinking and problem solving to communication challenges.
- Ability to work on multiple and concurring projects/tasks while following project timelines.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and deadline-driven.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
What do we have to offer you?
- A rewarding opportunity in a Company with a mission to create environmentally sustainable communities;
- A solid organization within which you can develop your competencies for future growth;
- As part of a small team, ongoing support and resources to ensure your success in this role; and
- A family-oriented culture with an entrepreneurial mindset that encourages you to take ownership of your role and effect change.
No agencies. No phone calls, please. Emterra thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.