We are currently searching for a dynamic, energetic Assistant Operations Manager
to join our Surrey team. Reporting to the Operations Manager, you are a hands-on Manager overseeing all aspects of the collections, as well as all municipal and commercial contracts. You are a leader who will ensure the highest standard of operational excellence and environmental health and safety to ensure the long term viability of service to our customers.
As a key member of the management team of Emterra Group, the incumbent will enjoy a comprehensive and competitive total rewards program in addition to the professional development opportunities that Emterra prides itself in offering.
What will you do?
What will you bring?
- Utilize resources to fulfill municipal and commercial contract compliance with a goal of zero defects and high customer satisfaction;
- Ensure daily municipal and commercial collection goals are met utilizing a hands-on approach through the effective management of your employees;
- Continually review municipal and commercial collection operations to ensure optimal routing efficiency and allocation of fleet and other resources;
- Work closely with other operational stakeholders to ensure daily, weekly, and monthly fleet maintenance and preventative maintenance tasks and goals are achieved;
- Grow profitability by executing the Company’s business plans and strategies; grow the revenue base and inbound MRF tonnage by contributing to the execution of the BC strategy;
- Participate in Emterra’ s responses to Requests for Proposals and tenders; lead contract implementations upon contract award;
- P&L responsibility including the development and achievement of budgetary goals to ensure the long-term viability of the operation;
- Participate in business development opportunities; manage a small sales department to expand commercial client base and grow profitability of the commercial collection line of business;
- Evaluate employee performance on an ongoing basis and ensure that supervisory staff are providing front line staff with regular feedback and coaching;
- Provide leadership in maintaining safe and positive working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders;
- Maintain a culture of safety by implementing and monitoring a safety management program to ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees;
- Ensure the health and safety of all workers under direct supervision, which includes but is not limited to:
- making all workers aware of known hazards;
- ensuring all workers are adequately trained on all applicable equipment, processes, and duties;
- ensuring all workers are equipped with proper Personal Protective (PPE) and that it is being used properly, regularly inspected, and maintained;
- ensuring all other provincial and company related safety policies and procedures as prescribed;
- Understand and work in accordance with all appropriate legislative obligations and requirements.
What do we offer?
- Completion of related post-secondary education or combination of experience/training;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing in a similar capacity within the transportation industry or inter-city collections/delivery is required; experience managing a collection operation in the waste/recycling industry is preferred;
- Some experience with budgeting process, P&L responsibility and presentation of financial results;
- Excellent command of the English language (both verbal and written); Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and with external stakeholders;
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite;
- Strong understanding of provincial employment, transportation and environmental legislation;
- Must be a hands-on self-starter who possesses a mechanical aptitude, excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to multi-task, shift priorities, and work within time constraints on an on-going basis;
- A rewarding career in a Company with a mission to create environmentally sustainable communities;
- A solid organization within which you are able to develop your competencies for future growth;
- Ongoing support and resources to ensure your success in this role;
- A family-oriented culture with an entrepreneurial mind-set that encourages you to take ownership of your role and effect change.
As per company policy, this position is designated as Safety Sensitive.
No agencies. No phone calls please. Emterra thanks all applicants for their interest however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.