The newly created position of GIS and Route Planning Coordinator
will work with Emterra’s operations teams, to enhance current and future fleet/hauling operations, focusing on route optimization and asset utilization. This is a full-time summer/co-op contract that could potentially be extended.
What will you do?
What will you bring?
- Source, implement, and utilize Geographic Information System (GIS) software to create and optimize collection routes for maximum productivity;
- Analyze fleet/hauling operations including driver and routing efficiency, time and motion studies, and cost saving improvements;
- Ensure routes are ‘driver-friendly’, efficient, and safe;
- Create digital and hard copy route maps that are ‘driver-friendly’;
- Maintain current and accurate route files, maps, and statistics;
- Review and report on KPIs; and
- Other special projects as assigned.
- Current third- or fourth-year student in a post-secondary GIS, Geography, Planning, or related program OR recent graduate from a post-secondary GIS, Geography, Planning, or related program;
- Minimum of 2 year’s practical experience using GIS software;
- Strong understanding of and experience using routing, mapping, and GIS principles;
- Experience in a technical position or work experience in the transportation industry is preferred;
- Strong computer skills and advanced understanding of MS Office Suite and GIS software;
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle;
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work well with teams as well as independently; and
- Ability and desire to think outside of the box.
What do we have to offer you?
- Primarily office but will require regular field work and occasional travel.
- A rewarding career in a Company with a mission to create environmentally sustainable communities;
- A solid organization within which you are able to develop your competencies for future growth;
- As part of a small team, ongoing support and resources to ensure your success in this role;
- A family-oriented culture with an entrepreneurial mind-set that encourages you to take ownership of your role and effect change.