Emterra Group is a leader in providing integrated recycling resource management and waste disposal solutions to the industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sectors and municipalities throughout Canada. Our view of waste management means maximizing recycling and waste diversion. Whether you see it as garbage, waste, trash, rubbish or junk, we see waste another way – as a resource to be collected and recycled into new, usable products. From tire recycling to liquid waste – we turn waste into resources.
We are currently searching for a dynamic, energetic Operations Manager
to join our Victoria, BC team. Reporting to the District Operations Manager – Vancouver Island, you are a hands-on Operations Manager overseeing all aspects of the collections and Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) operations, as well as all municipal and commercial contracts. You are a leader who will ensure the highest standard of operational excellence and environmental health and safety to ensure the long term viability of service to our customers.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with municipal and commercial clients, employees and various internal/external stakeholders.
- Assume P&L responsibility including the development and achievement of budgetary and cash flow goals to ensure the long-term viability of the operation.
- Maintain current knowledge of external market trends, internal strategies and operational capabilities.
- Maintain a leadership position in the industry both locally and on a provincial level to ensure organizational representation and leadership are well recognized in the industry.
- Lead business development activities in the municipal and ICI sectors in the province and respond to requests for proposal to ensure business growth in the marketplace.
- Provide guidance and direction to supervisory staff regarding budgeting process and work with leaders to ensure margins are optimized and growth targets are met.
- Effectively communicate company objectives, goals, business plans, and philosophies to employees.
- Ensure the efficient operation of the facility and fleet by establishing and monitoring key performance indicators.
- Provide leadership in the establishment and achievement of continuous improvement goals.
- Recruit, select, coach and mentor staff to ensure performance targets are being met.
- Develop employee succession plan and ensure training requirements are executed consistent with the plan.
- Create a culture of safety by implementing a safety management program to ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees.
- Ensure site compliance to all labour, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Ensure that Health and Safety requirements are being met by supporting and participating in regular Health & Safety meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What do we have to offer you?
- 5 years’ progressive operational leadership experience.
- Prior experience in the waste/recycling, manufacturing and/or transportation industry preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, teambuilding and oral/written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization.
- Strong financial, mathematical and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of provincial environmental and labour regulations.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office, particularly Excel.
- Experience in a recycling, material recovery or material handling facility is an asset.
- Class 5 driver’s license is required.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours occasionally.
- A rewarding career in a Company with a mission to create environmentally sustainable communities;
- Base salary structure along with Group Insurance Plan;
- A solid organization within which you are able to develop your competencies for future growth;
- Ongoing support and resources to ensure your success in this role;
- A family-oriented culture with an entrepreneurial mind-set that encourages you to take ownership of your role and effect change.
No agencies. No phone calls please. Emterra thanks all applicants for their interest however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.