Emterra Group is a leader in providing integrated recycling resource management and waste disposal solutions to the industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sectors and municipalities throughout Canada. Our view of waste management means maximizing recycling and waste diversion. Whether you see it as garbage, waste, trash, rubbish or junk, we see waste another way – as a resource to be collected and recycled into new, usable products. From tire recycling to liquid waste – we turn waste into resources.
We are currently searching for a dynamic, energetic, and experienced Operations Manager to join our growing team. This position is responsible for the smooth implementation and ongoing management of the operations of Emterra’s new recycling collection and processing division in Peterborough. The Operations Manager will ensure the highest standard of operational excellence and environmental, health and safety to ensure the long term viability of service to our customers.
As a key member of the Ontario management team of Emterra Environmental, the incumbent will enjoy a comprehensive and competitive total rewards program in addition to the professional development opportunities that Emterra prides itself in offering through tools such as a Tuition Assistance Program and Career Development Program.
What will you do?
What will you bring?
- Manage collection operations:
- Utilize resources to fulfill municipal and commercial contract compliance with a goal of zero defects and high customer satisfaction;
- Ensure contracted services are delivered utilizing a hands-on approach through the effective management of your employees;
- Continually review municipal and commercial collection operations to ensure optimal routing efficiency and allocation of fleet and other resources;
- Manage plant operations:
- Maximize daily production (up-time), increase productivity, minimize residuals, audit inbound and outbound materials, and produce commodities of quality levels acceptable to buyers;
- Monitor daily equipment inspection reports, proactively minimizing equipment downtime;
- Responsible for internal reports, including but not limited to daily bale count, facility inspections, production reports, daily MRF statistics, audit reports, etc.;
- Work closely with plant and fleet maintenance department to ensure daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance and preventative maintenance tasks and goals are achieved;
- P&L responsibility including the development and achievement of budgetary goals to ensure the long-term viability of the operation;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with municipal and commercial clients, employees and various internal/external stakeholders;
- Evaluate employee performance on an ongoing basis and ensure that supervisory staff are providing front line staff with regular feedback and coaching;
- Provide leadership in maintaining safe and positive working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders;
- Maintain a culture of safety by implementing and monitoring a safety management program to ensure a safe and productive work environment;
- Ensure the health and safety of all workers, which includes but is not limited to:
- making all workers aware of known hazards;
- ensuring all workers are adequately trained on all applicable equipment, processes, and duties;
- ensuring all workers are equipped with proper Personal Protective (PPE) and that it is being used properly, regularly inspected, and maintained;
- ensuring all other provincial and company related safety policies and procedures as prescribed;
- Understand and work in accordance with all appropriate legislative obligations and requirements; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
What do we offer?
- Completion of related post-secondary education or combination of experience/training;
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing in a similar capacity in the recycling and waste management industry;
- Experience with budgeting process, P&L responsibility and presentation of financial results;
- Strong and demonstrated quantitative analysis and reasoning skills and financial acumen;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to manage customer relationships;
- Excellent command of the English language (both verbal and written);
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and with external stakeholders;
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite;
- Strong understanding of provincial employment, transportation and environmental legislation;
- Must be a hands-on self-starter who possesses a mechanical aptitude, excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to multi-task, shift priorities, and work within time constraints on an on-going basis;
- A rewarding career in a Company with a mission to create environmentally sustainable communities;
- A solid organization within which you are able to develop your competencies for future growth;
- As part of a small team, ongoing support and resources to ensure your success in this role; and
- A family-oriented culture with an entrepreneurial mind-set that encourages you to take ownership of your role and effect change.