Emterra Group is a leader in providing integrated recycling resource management and waste disposal solutions to the industrial, commercial and institutional (ICI) sectors and municipalities throughout Canada. Our view of waste management means maximizing recycling and waste diversion. Whether you see it as garbage, waste, trash, rubbish or junk, we see waste another way – as a resource to be collected and recycled into new, usable products. From tire recycling to liquid waste – we turn waste into resources.
The Plant Supervisor’s primary responsibilities include the daily management and coordination of plant operations including production, logistics and maintenance while ensuring compliance with all labour, safety, environmental and corporate policies and regulations. This position plays an integral part in plant operations, special projects, and has profit and loss (P&L) responsibility for developing and achieving budgetary and production targets. This a hands-on role with approximately 50% of the time spent on the plant floor.
What will you do?
What will you bring?
- Supervise, coordinate, and schedule the activities of plant staff and key operational personnel in a safe and efficient manner;
- Work to optimize production and processing of incoming recyclable material on a one-shift basis (based on current in-take volumes);
- Maximize daily production (up-time), increase productivity, minimize residuals, audit inbound and outbound materials, and produce commodities of quality levels acceptable to buyers;
- Responsible for internal reports, including but not limited to daily bale count, facility inspections, pre and post trip reports, daily MRF statistics, audit reports, etc.;
- Understand and monitor the general flow of materials through system;
- Be proactive in taking measures, offering suggestions and corrective actions to maximize throughput;
- Maintain calendars and log books on plant and mobile equipment;
- Work in accordance with and be well versed in local, state, and federal legislated obligations that are required for the facility and their operating licenses, including but not limited to sections 27 and 28 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and the Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA) issued by the Ministry of Environment;
- Ensure the health and safety of all workers under direct supervision, which includes but is not limited to:
- making all workers aware of known hazards;
- ensuring all workers are adequately trained on all applicable equipment, processes, and duties;
- ensuring all workers are equipped with proper Personal Protective (PPE) and that it is being used properly, regularly inspected, and maintained;
- ensuring all other provincial and company related safety policies and procedures as prescribed;
- Understand and work in accordance with all appropriate legislative obligations and requirements;
- Monitor daily equipment pre/post trip reports, proactively minimizing equipment downtime.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a plant supervisory or management role;
- Excellent interpersonal, teambuilding and oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization in a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong understanding of safety responsibilities in the workplace;
- Demonstrated experience in production planning, logistics and equipment maintenance;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain staffing levels at an appropriate level to minimize costs;
- Ability to use mobile equipment and the ability to train and evaluate operators on mobile equipment;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Strong financial, mathematical and analytical skills;
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office, particularly Excel;
- Experience in a recycling, material recovery or material handling facility is an asset;
- Experience with PLC programming/controls is an asset;
- Must hold and maintain a valid drivers’ license;
- Ability and willingness to work shift work (day and evening), weekends, and holidays.
What do we offer?
- Plant environment;
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions;
- Exposure to dust, noise, heat, cold and fumes found in a shop environment;
- Exposure to residential and commercial waste and recycling;
- Exposure to equipment traffic.
- A Total Rewards Program which includes but is not limited to a competitive salary and a comprehensive Group Insurance Plan;
- Ongoing support and resources to ensure your personal professional success;
- Training and Development opportunities supplemented with a Tuition Assistance Program to act as a foundation for your Career Development Plan within Emterra Group;